Wagner's mystical religious fairy tale of destiny and salvation is drawn from the ancient sources of Holy Grail Mythology. The loss of the Holy Spear is a devastating loss for the grail knights. Their King is gravely injured trying to retrieve it. He can only be healed by one man... an innocent fool, enlightened through compassion. Jealous sorcerer, Klingsor, continues to threaten the knights and the complex character of Kundry simultaneously aids and sabotages them. In the end all they can do is wait and pray for the one man who is destined to save them all.
Each bead and charm of the Parsifal Opera Bracelet represents a character or moment from the work. Some of the most important beads and charms are described below and you can see all of the symbolic descriptions on the spiral chart photo above or to the left. Also, a story chart explaining the symbolism of the beads and charms accompanies every bracelet. Click here to see the chart.
- Parsifal is a reflective silver bead symbolic of his purity, clear and crystal hearts indicate his acts of healing and salvation : his identity as "enlightened through compassion". A shining gold bead and a tiny dove bead represent his ultimate role as Grail King.
- Gurnemanz is a silvery green bead indicating his role a s a knight (silver armor) in the sacred forest (green);
- Sorcerer Klingsor is an iridescent black bead symbolizing his magical powers and evil nature. Complex Kundry is a black iridescent flower indicating the influence of the powers of evil over her.
- The sacred spear, is a bronze double cone bead. The Holy grail- stated in Wagner to be crystal is an faceted clear bicone crystal bead.
- Ancient Titurel is a grey glass pearl, his son Amfortas is a clear gold crystal.
- A large Black heart is the trap of seduction Amfortas succumbs to and a red droplet bead is the devastating wound that will not heal. A fish charm indicates his resulting identity as the Fisher King.
- Flat iridescent aqua beads symbolize the lakes and springs of the Grail Kingdom. Green ovals are representative of the transformation music as Parsifal travels to the castle.
- Klingsor's kingdom of flower maidens is a green millefiore bead. A cracked glass disc indicates Parsifal's destruction of Klingsor's realm.
Charms included in the bracelet are:
- The swan that leads Parsifal to the Grail Kingdom
- The Grail Castle
- The grail itself (goblet)
- The knight (representing Parsifal's arrival on Good Friday).