My staff will totally LOVE this bracelet as a gift after our musical, The Little Mermaid Jr. Cindy is WONDERFULLY creative and so easy to work with. What a gem! Love it!
Made to order archived design 2-3 weeks for delivery! Beads and charms can become unavailable over time. All effort will be made to come as close as possible to the photographed design.
By popular request, I have created a special Full Story Bracelet telling the tale of Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid. The original story takes a strong turn from the Disney version or the opera "Rusalka", but many of the beautiful themes of love and sacrifice remain. This is a beautiful tale which I encourage everyone to read.
Each bead and charm of The Little Mermaid Bracelet represents a character or moment from the Andersen's story. Some of the most important beads and charms are described below and you can see all of the symbolic descriptions on the spiral chart photo above or to the left. Also, a story chart explaining the symbolism of the beads and charms accompanies every bracelet. Click here to see the chart.
Please note: The Little Mermaid Bracelet (and all my bracelets) contain small delicate parts and are not intended for children.
- Delicate glass beads in the shapes of shells, fish and “starfish” (star beads) with a small crab charm evoke the sea
- A hand painted charm evokes the little mermaid. An aqua bead represents her in the story, iridescent when representing a magical creature and clear when she is human.
- A larger aqua bead the mermaid’s father the Sea King. A pale blue bead is her grandmother and deeper blue beads are her older sisters. A fish charm symbolizes the young mermaids at play.
- The little mermaid dreams of visiting the surface –small aqua heart. A golden crystal symbolizes the sun and an aqua wave bead is the ocean’s surface.
- When she is finally allowed to go she sees the prince (gold crystal) on his beautiful ship (charm). A storm, indicated by a grey crackle bead) destroys the ship.
- The mermaid saves the life of the prince (red heart bead). She brings him to the shore (shell bead) where a girl (rose pearl) gets help for him.
- The mermaid learns that humans have short life spans but they have an immortal soul Mermaids live 300 years but have no soul. A clear crystal indicates the soul, three glass pearls indicate 300 years.
- The sea witch who helps the mermaid become human is a large black bead. Her sea snakes are indicated by a snake-like pewter bead. The potion that will transform her is a clear droplet. A charm of footsteps symbolizes the mermaid’s new legs. A black disc represents the loss of her voice and the fate of death if the prince marries another.
- Wedding rings symbolize the prince’s wedding to the girl who saved him on the shore.
- A dagger (charm) and red droplet indicate the sea witch’s plan for the mermaid to save herself. But Love (large red bead) stops her from slaying the prince.
- Clear iridescent beads represent the daughters of air who save the mermaid from drowning and make her one of them. Three glass pearls again represent the three hundred years they live performing good works.
- A large crystal heart symbolizes that the mermaid will receive an immortal soul and love has guided her to it.